Food safety system based on the ISO 22000 standard for quality management and safety assurance in companies whose activities are related to food production.
The food safety management system (HACCP system) is, first of all, a preventive system that provides systematic identification, assessment and control of hazards (microbiological, chemical, physical) at critical points of the production process.
Since in Ukraine the DSTU 4161-2003 “Food safety management systems.” was approved and came into power. The standard requirements are intended for use by food organizations and processing industry, public catering and other organizations whose activities are related to food.
This product with its capabilities allows you to provide all the conditions of the legislation in the field of regulation of the food safety management system and the ISO 22000 standard. There is also an additional section for documentation automating in the area of labor protection and fire safety. (Fig. 1, 2, 3)
Combining the entire document flow related to food safety into one single database;
User-friendly interface based on the 1C program with the user customization ability;
Step-by-step procedure intended for creating necessary regulatory framework for the HACCP system implementation;
Individual documents customization and selection for every client;
Individual reports development for the HACCP system;
Possibility to accumulate a complete history of measurements and monitoring data for the defined CCPs;
Ability to automatically track ``undesirable`` consequences by setting critical limits for certain monitoring indicators;
Maintaining all necessary documents in digital form in accordance with ISO 22000 standard;
Ability to synchronize with monitoring and measurement equipment;
Possibility to store and archive scanned copies of quality certificates, instructions, orders, etc.
Specialists consultation and support;
Inspection simplification process of organizations by regulatory authorities through standardization and automation;
A checklist for building a food safety management system is attached, the steps of which ensure compliance with the 7 principles of HACCP (HACCP plan development) (Fig. 4.1; 4.2).
The software product provides the following steps of HACCP implementation and integration into the work of the organization:
HACCP group establishment and responsibilities distribution among the members. Such group may consist of two or more people. Each member of the group must have not only sufficient knowledge, but also experience in specialized and related spheres of expertise:
product safety management;
working skills in monitoring and measuring equipment;
legislation in this area of the industry.
In accordance with the responsibilities, user desktops are set up with access to documents and program modules. An order of HACCP group creation is formed (or attached); (Fig. 5)
2. Product characteristics description and purpose determination. A detailed product description is the identification of possible hazards and risks that may be in the ingredients or packaging material. Initially, the description of the received raw materials is carried out, which determines its main properties and condition. To do this, the program has a convenient table for filling in the necessary information. Information that is required for use in further steps can be saved in reference books; (Fig.6)
3. Main production identification processes and creating (or uploading an existing) process flow diagram. It is possible to develop a detailed process flow diagram, which will give a clearer and more understandable picture of all stages of food production. The flow chart will help identify sources of potential contamination and identify methods to eliminate risks. It is planned to create a production processes reference book with taken actions description and the option to detail the stages. The software product provides a “flowchart constructor” with the necessary set of tools for building a flowchart. It is also possible to attach an existing flowchart; (Fig. 7, 8, 9)
4. Risk analysis for each production process. At each of the previously defined stages of the production process hazards description, the probability, source of their emergence is occurred.
Hazard analysis is mandatory in several cases:
HACCP plan initial development;
new product development;
change of the product manufacturing technology;
use of new raw materials;
updating equipment in the production facility;
new risks emergence. (Fig. 10, 11)
5. Critical Control Points (CCPs) Identification at each stage of the production process.
A critical point is a stage, step or process on which control can be applied to prevent, eliminate or reduce potential risks to an acceptable level. There are several methods for identifying critical control points and one of them is the construction of a “decision tree” model. Such critical points indicate particularly precisely those processes that require special attention. The number of critical control points is not limited and depends on the process complexity, raw materials properties and other conditions. In this step, we define the control points and link the control point to the corresponding production process, which will allow us to track any changes that may lead to undesirable consequences in the future; (Fig. 12, 13)
6. CCPs description and limits setting, corrective actions development and monitoring system formation for each CCP, verification procedure establishment. Critical limits are the criteria that separate the concepts of “acceptable” and “unacceptable”, i.e. it is the maximum or minimum parameter within which biological, chemical or physical parameters can be monitored in a particular CCP. Due to the possibility of setting critical limits in the program we will be able to carry out automatic control over specific monitoring units and in case of standards violation to notify the responsible persons. There is also a link between the Production process – CCP – registration document – monitoring unit – performer which will allow us to get the information we need for effective decision-making at any time; (Fig. 14)
7. Documentation system formation (individual development of documents). The program modules include the main generally necessary documents for food industry businesses. The program modules include the main generally necessary documents for food industry enterprises. After the implementation of the previous steps and consultation with our specialists, the development of monitoring documents is carried out individually for the needs of the client. The development of documents and reports is carried out in accordance with the defined monitoring points and the level of detail. Individual printed forms development is also provided; (Fig. 15, 16)
Also a module for building a blockchain and a convenient archive is created for storing scanned copies of documents, instructions, certificates, orders, protocols, procedures, etc. (Fig. 17,18). It is possible to connect mobile “chat bots” for the convenient entry of information.
Kaplun Zinaida, Internal auditor of quality management systems ISO 9001:2015/ISO 22000
Holovchak Nazar, Internal Control and Business Optimization Specialist (Consultation on the software module capabilities and integration in your company)